March 1, 2017
Dear Friendship Families,
Happy March! The beginning of March means it is almost spring, and we are excited for the potential learning opportunities outdoors! We are hoping for mild weather and no school delays or cancellations for the remainder of the year, but if we do have snow or other inclement weather, please look for an automated phone call from me, and check local news outlets, and the LEARN and TFS website (www.thefriendshipschool.org).
Teachers and staff members are deep in the process of NAEYC accreditation. We are working hard in professional learning sessions and assembling classroom portfolios to show evidence of our early childhood practices. To that end, we will be asking you soon to complete a parent/caregiver survey to reflect on your and your child’s experiences with our school. The survey results will help us make improvements to our program so that we are providing the best educational experience for your child.
Here are some updates and important reminders:
- Paul Carolan (“Mr. C.”) has officially transitioned out of the interim assistant principal role, as Mrs. Trahan is now here and settled. We will miss Mr. C, but he will come by to visit here and there. Enjoy your retirement and travels, Mr .C.!
- For all Pre-K families, please return the “seat reservation form” to your child’s teacher or the main office as soon as possible. The deadline is March 31.
- We have parent/teacher conferences on Thursday, March 9. There will be an early dismissal (1:30 pm). Please make the necessary adjustments for meeting your child at the bus stop two hours early, or picking your child up here at school at 1:30.
- There is no school on Friday, March 10 due to professional development. Our teachers and many of our paraprofessionals will be participating in CPR and First Aid training that day!
- At The Friendship School, we ensure that all students are offered all components of their meal at one time. This follows National School Lunch guidelines and NAEYC guidelines, as well. It allows students to choose, does not reserve one component of the meal as a “reward” for eating one part of the meal, and ensures each child has access to their milk or other beverage throughout. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
- We have quite a few spring field trips coming up! Each trip has a limited number of chaperones. If you plan to chaperone, please be in close touch with your child’s teacher to ensure you are on the chaperone list. Stop by the office to sign in and get a visitor sticker immediately before the trip.
- The Friendship School lottery is now open! You may visit our website (www.thefriendshipschool.org) to apply for a new student and read some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Please share this info with your friends, family, and neighbors!
Please be in touch with any questions or needs. We are here to support all students and families to ensure the best learning environment possible!
Andrea Simmons, Principal
Kristen Trahan, Assistant Principal
Friendship Family Organization (FFO) Information:
- Themed classroom donations for the Basket Bonanza are due Fri., Mar. 3rd. If you want to donate something, please bring it to the school's main office or by backpack mail. Save the Date for the Basket Bonanza on Mar. 31st. Over 120 businesses have donated! See below for your classroom theme.Keep sending in the BoxTops! Prizes for the classrooms who submit the most!
- The last day to order Square 1 Art and have it delivered to the school is Tues., Mar. 8th. These make great Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts! https://shop.square1art.com/shop
- Save the date for our next FFO meeting: Thurs., Mar. 16th
- Questions? Contact us: FFO@thefriendshipschool.org
- Visit the FFO section of www.thefriendshipschool.org to see our full calendar of events.
Join us! 2016-2017 FFO meetings (5:45-6:15 free dinner, 6:15-7:15 meeting with free childcare):
- Thurs., Mar. 16
- Thurs., May 11
- Thurs. Jun 1
TFS Monthly Newsletter - March 1, 2017