February 1, 2017
Dear Friendship Families,
I hope this newsletter finds you well. We have had a busy month this past January! Children have had fun playing with snow both outside and inside (in sensory tables for exploration). Our new assistant principal, Kristen Trahan, began a couple of weeks ago. She is learning quickly and doing wonderful work connecting with our TFS community. If you have not been able to meet Kristen, please feel free to drop by one of the “meet and greet” sessions, find her in the hall or entryway during arrival or dismissal, or call the office to schedule an appointment.
Thank you for your flexibility and understanding regarding scheduling changes due to inclement weather. As a magnet school, we are oftentimes in the position to organize more than one bus company schedule. In the case of our early dismissal this week, each district was not able to do dismissal at the same time. Therefore, we had essentially two different bus departure times. I will always try my best to keep you informed as soon as possible regarding scheduling shifts. Please make sure to pick up the phone call when our school number or a LEARN phone number from Old Lyme comes up on caller ID. A school cancellation is a bit more simple, and you will receive a phone call by 7:00 am. The information is also posted on news outlets, our website, and our Facebook page.
Please see the following for general information and important reminders:
- Please make sure to provide written documentation to excuse any absences your child may have. If you need to pick up your child early, please provide a note to the teacher in the morning. The teacher will share this information with the office so we are aware of any early dismissal plans.
- On February 8, we will have an early dismissal (12:30). Our full staff will continue our exciting work towards NAEYC (National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children) accreditation.
- The Friendship School lottery is now open! Please visit our website if you have a child who will be pre-k or kindergarten age for the 2017-18 school year and complete an application. We are now an open choice magnet school, meaning the lottery is open to any pre-k and kindergarten aged child in the state of Connecticut. You may visit the FAQ page on our website to read some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Please share this info with your friends, family, and neighbors!
- TFS is hosting several focus groups to learn about what an ideal before/after school and summer program would look like for your child. We are in an information gathering stage to ensure we are providing the best programming possible both during and outside of your child’s school day. Please see the calendar for these dates and times.
- Did you know that oftentimes, processed and prepackaged foods that are quick and easy to provide in a child’s lunch are the same cost as natural, whole food options? Bananas, baby carrots, kiwifruit, and apple slices are all affordable options for your child’s lunch and provide the vitamins and nutrients to help your child’s mind and body grow!
Please be in touch with any questions, needs, or feedback over the course of the next few weeks. Our leadership team, along with your child’s teachers, are dedicated to providing the highest quality learning experience for your child!
Andrea Simmons, Principal
Kristen Trahan, Assistant Principal
Friendship Family Organization (FFO) Information:
- FFO Meeting March 16, 5:45 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. with FREE Childcare and FREE dinner.
- Keep sending in the BoxTops! Prizes for the classrooms who submit the most!
- Questions? Contact us: FFO@thefriendshipschool.org
- Visit the FFO section of www.thefriendshipschool.org to see our full calendar of events.
Join us! 2016-2017 FFO meetings (5:45-6:15 free dinner, 6:15-7:15 meeting with free childcare):
- Thurs., Jan. 12
- Thurs., Mar. 16
- Thurs., May 11
- Thurs. Jun 1