January 6, 2017
Dear Friendship Families,
Happy New Year! Mr. C and I were so happy to see many smiling faces returning to school for 2017. Thank you to all of our pre-kindergarten families for making sure their child received a flu vaccine in a timely manner. As we move into winter weather, please make sure you dress your child in layers and with appropriate footwear (snow boots if possible) to play outside. They should also bring a pair of shoes to change into for the classroom. This is a great time of year to also make sure your child has a seasonally appropriate change of clothing in case of an accident.
Perhaps the most exciting news of the month is that the LEARN Board of Directors has approved our recommendation for Kristen Trahan to begin as the new Assistant Principal of The Friendship School! Kristen has been a literacy coach in Plainfield, Ledyard, and Stonington, and has taught young elementary students in several districts. She will begin on January 17, and we will setup some times for a “meet and greet” so you can get to know Mrs. Trahan. We are so grateful to Mr. C for filling in during this search. I’m also happy to report that Mr. C will be staying on through the month of January to help with Mrs. Trahan’s transition to this new role.
Please see the following for general information and important reminders:
- A reminder: when school is cancelled due to inclement weather, you will receive a phone call by 7:00 am. The information is also publicized on the local television news stations and local radio stations. We post on our Facebook page, the LEARN website and our website (www.thefriendshipschool.org).
- If you did not receive an automated phone call regarding the two hour delay on January 6 (the call went through at approximately 6:00 am), this means your phone number is not updated in our system. If this is the case, please contact our school secretary, Robin Campbell (extension 7129 or email@example.com) and she will update the information.
- Great news about Class Messenger! Another company purchased the system, so it will continue to run. Please contact your child’s classroom teacher if you need assistance using the app or service.
- If you have not already, please consider signing up for School Messenger’s text messaging service. School Messenger is the school-wide communication system we use to call all families in the school, and we can also send text message reminders for early dismissals and other important information. Text “Y” or “Yes” to 67587 to opt-in for this free service (text rates from your carrier apply).
- On January 11, we will have an early dismissal (12:30). Our full staff will continue our exciting work regarding cultural competence, which is part of our NAEYC (National Assoc. for the Education of Young Children) accreditation process, in addition to being an essential, ongoing professional learning experience. Please visit www.naeyc.org for more information on accreditation and best practice.
- The Friendship School lottery is now open! Please visit our website if you have a child who will be three, four, or five years old by August 31, 2017 and complete an application. Please share this info with your friends, family, and neighbors!
- Please continue to regularly send the Weekly Meal Order Form to your child’s teacher, so we know which meals to order for your child!
- Thank you to all of our preK families who returned the state’s income survey! We need 100% return rate to maintain our funding.
Andrea Simmons, Principal
Friendship Family Organization (FFO) Information:
- FFO Meeting January 12th, 5:45 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. with FREE Childcare and FREE dinner.
- Keep sending in the BoxTops! Prizes for the classrooms who submit the most!
- Questions? Contact us: FFO@thefriendshipschool.org
- Visit the FFO section of www.thefriendshipschool.org to see our full calendar of events.
- Cosmic Bowling is cancelled for Sat., Jan. 7 due to the expected inclement weather.
Join us! 2016-2017 FFO meetings (5:45-6:15 free dinner, 6:15-7:15 meeting with free childcare):
- Thurs., Jan. 12
- Thurs., Mar. 16
- Thurs., May 11
- Thurs. Jun 1